Area Information


Fishing Regulations

According to information published by the Wyoming Game & Fish

The following acts are unlawful by statute or Commission regulation except as otherwise permitted. Please refer to Wyoming Statutes, Title 23, or Wyoming Game and Fish Commission Regulations, Chapter 46, for exact wording


  • To release fish alive that have been placed on a stringer, in a container or a live well without written approval from the Department
  • To snag fish
  • To seine or trap fish without a valid license
  • To take fish by the aid of artificial light or lighting device
  • To take or destroy fish by using poison, deleterious drug, electrical device, chemical, explosive or similar substance
  • To take, wound, or destroy fish with a firearm of any nature
  • To take, wound, or destroy game fish with a bow and arrow or crossbow
  • To plant or release live fish or fish eggs without the consent and supervision of the Department or its authorized personnel. This does not include fish captured by legal means and released immediately upon capture
  • To sell, barter, dispose of, or abandon, or obtain by sale or barter, any edible portion of any game fish in this state
  • To enter, fish from, or beach, anchor, or tie-off a boat upon private land or streambeds without securing the landowner’s permission
  • To take game fish for another person
  • To transport live fish or live fish eggs from the water of capture
  • To tag or mark fish and release them unless prior approval has been obtained from the Department
  • To use or possess corn while fishing
  • To use or possess bait in areas or on waters where fishing is permitted by use of artificial flies and lures only

Visit Wyoming Game and Fish website for more information

Fishing Licenses

Licenses are required for resident and nonresident anglers 14 years or older. Exceptions are waters where fishing preserve permits, landowner fishing regulations or institutional permits apply.

Resident youth under age 14 do not need a license and their creel limit is the same as those requiring licenses

Nonresident youth under 14 do not need a license if accompanied by an adult possessing a valid Wyoming fishing license; however, the nonresident youth’s creel limit shall be applied to and limited by the fishing license held by the adult person in his/her company

Resident means a person who has been a resident of Wyoming and domiciled in Wyoming for not less than one year and who has not claimed residency elsewhere for any purpose during that one-year period immediately preceding the date of application for a license

Pioneer License – To be eligible for a Pioneer Bird, Fish and Small Game License you must be a resident who is sixty-five (65) years of age or older and who has continuously resided in Wyoming for at least thirty (30) years IMMEDIATELY preceding application for the license. The Pioneer Bird, Fish and Small Game license is valid as long as the licensee remainds a Wyoming resident.

Conservation Stamps

Each person licensed to hunt or fish in Wyoming, with the exception of license holders listed below, must purchase a single Conservation Stamp, which will be valid for one calendar year. The stamp must be signed in ink and in immediate possession while engaged in the act of hunting or fishing. Conservation stamps may be purchased from Game and Fish Department offices and license-selling agencies throughout the state.

The following license holders are exempt from purchasing a Conservation Stamp: Pioneer Fishing License holders; Daily Fishing license holders; or Daily Game Bird/Small Game license holders

note: Information obtained from a publication provided by the Wyoming Game & Fish Commission, information is accurate for 2004 – 2005


Hunting License Information

Hunting Licenses for the Northern Big Horn Mountains are available through the Wyoming Game & Fish for Elk, Mule Deer, Big Horn Sheep, Bear, Moose & Mountain Lion. We do NOT sell hunting licenses, however, we do carry conservation stamps.

Visit the Wyoming Game & Fish Website


Fishing Map Information

Fishing regulations, licenses, conservation stamps, bait, flies, and other fishing supplies are available in the gift shop / store as well as maps of the area. The North Tongue River, Sibley Lake, Bull Creek, Duncan Lake, Sawmill Reservoir, South Tongue River, Little Horn Creek, Twin Lakes, Sheep Creek, Rapid Creek, Park Reservoir, Little Goose Creek, Prune Creek, and Big Willow Creek are some of the area’s most popular spots.

ORV Trail Information & Maps

Wyoming ORV Maps are available in our gift shop / store upon request.
Remember to register your ATV. ORV Registrations are also sold in our gift shop / store.

We find that many of our winter snowmobilers are riding ATVs in the summer to see the areas they rode in a different season. We also find the reverse, our regular ATVers are anxious to snowmobile the area. There is a wide variety of terrain that works for all levels of riders, from simple trails to extreme.

Information on Hunting Maps

Maps of the Big Horn Mountains are available in our gift shop / store upon request, however, we do not stock a large supply of Animal Specific regulations so you may need to make a local Game & Fish office one of your stops to pick up any necessary maps.

Visit the Wyoming Game & Fish Website

Off Road Vehicles

Permits & Licensing information

On ROADS, all ATVs and motorcycles, including those owned by nonresidents, are required to either be street legal and display a motorcycle license plate or, if the roadway has been identified as part of the State ORV Program, they may be operated upon the roadway with only a Wyoming ORV permit. If the vehicle has a moto vehicle license plate it may be operated upon any roadway in Wyoming and an ORV permit is NOT required. If the vehicle displays only the Wyoming ORV permit, then it may be operated only upon those roadways identified as part of the State ORV Program.

When on ROADS (state, county, local or other) that are not part of the ORV Program, an ORV may be operated only if it is street legal and has a motorcycle plate; the operator must have an “M” endorsement on their operator’s license and carry proof of liability insurance

When upon motorized TRAILS or AREAS identified as open for cross-country travel and as part of the State ORV Program, all ORVs, including those owned by nonresidents, are required to display a Wyoming ORV Permit. An ORV permit is required to operate upon these trails and open areas even if the ORV also has a street legal license plate, since trails and open areas are non “streets or highways” for which the license plate was issued.

When on ROADS (USFS, BLM, State Park, or other) identified as part of the ORV Program, operators must have a valid operator’s license; the ORV must have brake lights, taillights, and headlamps if operated from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise. However, a motorcycle endorsements is not required on the operator’s license provided that he/she has purchased the Wyoming ORV Permit.

Any operator of an ORV traveling on Roads must have a valid driver’s license, regardless of enrollment in the ORV Program. However, if an oeprator is on a TRAIL that is enrolled in the ORV Program, there is no driver’s license requirement, provided the rider has the Wyoming ORV Permit.

ORVs are mostly restricted to travel upon only established ROADS and TRAILS. They may be operated upon public lands only when on roads, trails or areas identified as “open” for motorized travel by the appropriate local land manager. Contact the local land manager’s office to see what is open for ORV use.

No person may enter private land to hunt, fish or trap without permission.

Operating an ATV or trail bike off roads or trails in a manner that damages or unreasonably disturbs the land, wildlife, vegetative resources is prohibited.

It is unlawful to molest, stir up, rally or drive, in any manner, any game animals or game birds with a motorized vehicle. ATVs and trail bikes must be equipped with approved and operating spark arresting mufflers and comply with sound regulations.

It is illegal to operat and ATV or trail bike off trail or on any trail area closed to that specific type of vehicle as designated by the land management agency or land owner. Please check with the local land manager regarding seasonal closures and any gated roads. It is unlawful to shoot from or across the traveled portion, shoulders or embankements of any road maintained by a government entity.

note: Information obtained from the Wyoming 2004 ORV Map for Bighorn National Forest distributed by the Wyoming State Trails Program

Places To Visit

Places to Visit in the Bighorn National Forest

Medicine Wheel

Sibley Lake

Bucking Mule Falls

Dead Swede

Tie Flume

Twin Buttes

Tongue River Canyon

Shell Falls

Shell Canyon

Porcupine Falls

Comments are closed.